4-H Petting Zoos
This page contains information concerning safe operation of Petting Zoos by 4-H groups. Policies governing operation of petting zoos and animal exhibitions are found in the California 4-H YDP Policy Handbook, Chapter 11, Health and Safety in 4-H Youth Development Program.
Public Health Reminder for Animal Exhibitors:
The California Department of Food and Agriculture and the Department of Public Health for Animal Exhibitors have released a joint public health statement. Below are the links to the letter and flyers that inform the public about precautions to take around animal exhibits, one in English and one in Spanish.
- CDFA CDPH Public Health Reminder for Animal Exhibitors 7/11/19
- ReduceYourRiskAroundAnimals CDPHv3 7/9/19
- ReduceYourRiskAroundAnimal CDPHv3 Spanish 7/9/19
- Compendium of Measures to Prevent Disease Associated with Animals in Public Settings (National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians)
- Stay Healthy at Animal Events (Centers for Disease Control)
Clover Safe Notes:
- #16 - Safe Animal Contact at Petting Zoos and Fairs
- #17 - Organizing and Operating a Safe Petting Zoo Event
Postings and Signs - These are examples of signs and posters that may be printed and used at your petting zoo event.