Biosecurity Survey Information
In response to the White House memorandum "Enhancing Biosafety and Biosecurity in the United States," the UC campuses and ANR Research and Extension Centers (RECs) are participating in an inventory of biohazardous or infectious material used in labs. See the UCOP Directive from President Napolitano.
TO COMPLETE THIS SURVEY, YOU WILL NEED TO CONSULT WITH THE PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATORS (PIs) AT YOUR FACILITY WHO ARE USING OR STORING BIOLOGICAL MATERIALS FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THOSE MATERIALS.
BEFORE YOU COMPLETE THIS SURVEY PLEASE PERFORM THE FOLLOWING TASKS:
- Review (or assemble) an inventory of biological materials at your facility. At a minimum, inventories should specify the biological organism (or organismal source) by genus, the type of material (blood, tissues, cells, DNA, culture, or live plant/animal), and location where materials are used or stored (bldg & room). EHS will contact you if more details are needed.
- If PIs working at your facility have a Biological Use Authorization (BUA), review the materials listed on the BUA.
- Check freezers, refrigerators, and any other likely storage locations for biological materials that may not be listed on inventories or BUAs, especially pathogenic agents, biological toxins, and regulated plant pests.
- Familiarize yourself with the Federal Select Agent and Toxin List and determine if any Select Agents or Toxins are used or stored at your facility.
- Take note of any materials that may have been abandoned by outgoing PIs, postdocs, graduate students, or other staff.