Current Health Alerts
CDC and state public health officials are closely monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus (termed “COVID-19”) that was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. Over 70,000 thousand infections of COVID-19 have been reported in China, and around 1,000 cases have been confirmed in other countries worldwide, including the United States.
While the immediate risk of this new virus to the American public is believed to be low at this time, everyone can do their part to help us respond to this emerging public health threat:
- For everyone: It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting vaccinated, taking everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed.
- Everyday preventive actions include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- For people who may have COVID-19 infection: Please follow CDC guidance on how to reduce the risk of spreading your illness to others.
- For travelers: In response to the outbreak of COVID-19, the U.S. State Department issued a Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory for all areas of China.
ANR locations should be aware of the public health situation in their immediate area. Check with your local public health department for any local guidance concerning COVID-19 or other diseases in your community.
The California Resiliency Alliance has created a Quick Links Collections page for the COVID-19.
This page brings together links to various information sources and resources including:
- Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 Dashboard
- CDC and Other US Federal Agencies
- California State & Local Public Health Departments
- World Health Organization
- Travel Notices and Advisories